Monday, July 2, 2012

Redefine Learning Spaces

Today I was reading Redesigning Learning In a Flipped Classroom

Important things to remember: All students learn in different ways - celebrate those ways of learning and help those same students push themselves outside of their comfort zone to learn in new ways to maximize their understanding.

A flipped classroom requires a shift in my teacher thinking - students can learn anywhere and any time and their time with me may not always be directly be related to math, chemistry, or careers.

Chaos that others may see is what is engaged learning for my students. I want to do what is best for my students at all times and in whatever form that may be.

Quote: "Students are engaged in their learning. They are coaching one another through hard questions. Groups form spontaneously, based on self-identified needs. There is freedom to be wrong, free from a fear of failure or negative consequence. Since the class is student time, the “noise” is really hypothesis, creation, and critique in their purest forms. Also bear in mind, this change does not happen overnight. This movement requires a shift that has to occur in both the student’s, as well as the teacher’s, perception of school and the learning process. This requires a healthy investment of time and energy."

As I think about this quote, how can I make this happen?

I want to meet my students learning needs for all students. Using videos, textbook readings, interactive online tools, and other Web 2.0 options I can provide the resources to my students to be successful.

Flipping a classroom is a philosophy, not a procedure.

John Tague's comment was compelling "one of the guiding principles of my class: forward progress by every student every day. The other is: no one gets held back or left behind."




No comments:

Post a Comment